As Christians, one of the main things God wants us to do after we get saved through the blood of His Son Jesus is to start to grow in His knowledge and grace. The reason God wants us to seek after His knowledge is because we cannot spiritually grow in Him unless we have the knowledge in us that will cause this spiritual growth to occur in the first place. This is why God places such a high value on the pursuit of knowledge of God for our lives, for without it, we will never be able to spiritually grow in the ways that He will want us to.
And then when you look at the actual verses from the Bible on God wanting us to grow in His knowledge, you will find God making some incredible, intense statements. As you will see when reviewing some of the verses I will list below, God is flat out telling us that seeking after His knowledge for our lives is better than seeking after all of the material wealth of this world.
The reason being is that His knowledge will not only cause us to spiritually grow in Him, but it will also carry over with us into the next life as well. But all of the wealth and material possessions we will end up with will not be crossing over with us. They will all be left to rot and perish right along side our physical bodies when it is all said and done. In other words, no suitcases will need to be packed on your death bed.
As such, every single Christian needs to get their priorities set straight with the Lord. Seek after His knowledge for your lives, and then everything else you will need to be able to function in the life will be given to you by the Lord.
Here are 7 very profound verses, all showing us that seeking after the knowledge of God for our lives is better than al of the material wealth this world can offer. Now more than ever all Christians need to ground on these kinds of verses, since we have so much in the realm of material wealth tempting us to want to chase after it.
1. “Happy is the man who finds wisdom, and the man who gains understanding; for her proceeds are better than the profits of silver, and her gain than fine gold. She is more precious than rubies, and all the things you may desire cannot compare with her. Length of days is in her right hand, in her left hand riches and honor. Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace. She is a tree of life to those who take hold of her, and happy are all who retain her.” (Proverbs 3:13)
2. “How much better it is to get wisdom than gold! And to get understanding is to be chosen rather than silver.” (Proverbs 16:16)
3. “There is gold and a multitude of rubies, but the lips of knowledge are a precious jewel.” (Proverbs 20:15)
4. “… but the excellence of knowledge is that wisdom gives life to those who have it.” (Ecclesiastes 7:12)
5. “Understanding is a wellspring of life to him who has it.” (Proverbs 16:22)
6. “Through wisdom a house is built, and by understanding it is established; by knowledge the rooms are filled with all precious and pleasant riches.” (Proverbs 24:3)
7. “Wisdom strengthens the wise more than ten rulers of the city.” (Ecclesiastes 7:19)
The first two verses above simply say it all when it says that wisdom and understanding are better than all of the profits of gold and silver.
About the Author: Article by Chris Bradley of Bible Knowledge Ministries, website dedicated to helping fellow believers grow in their walk with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.