Understanding our position in Christ is crucial to our walk and freedom. Ever since I was a child I struggled with insecurity. I always felt out of place and unsure of where I belonged. Have you ever felt out of place with friends, family work, or just in life in general? I am sure we all have!
Knowing our position in Christ can and will put an end to all these feelings. You see God wants us to move away from a place of feelings and start proclaiming fundamental truths about who we are!
These truths really came to life for me when a good friend let me listen to How the Truth Can Set You Free by Charles Stanley. I felt like he was describing me when he spoke on inferiority and insecurity. The truth is knowing our position in Christ will eliminate all these and more!
I wrote about this a while back in A Look At Who We Are In Christ Jesus.
If you are like me and are hungry for the freedom of who we are in Christ then pay attention and start claiming these fundamental truths for yourself!
1. We are a new creation. 2 Corinthians 5:5-17 tells us that anyone who receives or believes in Christ's new life also becomes a new person. In other words if you can believe that Christ died and rose form the grave in 3 days into a new body then one day you as well will receive a new body.
We are dead to the old life and a new one has begun!
(stay tuned for a post solely on our new bodies)
Also in John 1:13 we are told that we are reborn with a birth that comes from God!
We no longer have to live that lie that we are not good enough, smart enough, or that we will never make it! We are made by God for God and equipped to do everything he has planned for us to do! We need to let our fears and failures fall to to the waste side.
2. We are made righteous. In Romans 3:24 we see that through God's undeserved kindness, we are declared holy.
Ok, great what does that mean?
Simply put we are made right with God by our position in Christ.
2 Corinthians 5:21 says that God made Christ, who never sinned, to be the sin offering so that we would be right with God!
- Our sin is removed. In Colossians 1:21-22 Paul informs us that we are holy and blameless as we stand before God with out a single fault. Do you see the impact? We can freely come to the Father with no insecurities, doubts, worries and be blameless in his eyes.
Colossians 2:13-15 shows us the impact of the cross. We were dead because of sin (wages of sin is death), but God made us alive with Christ and forgave us of our sins. He nailed the charges to the cross.
- We are made holy by the sacrifice of Jesus; Hebrews 10:10. Claim that right now for yourself.
"My position is one of holiness in Christ Jesus!"
3. We are redeemed by grace. Redeemed means to buy back or repurchase. We see in Romans 6:23 that the wages of sin is death. The only thing that will cancel out sin is bloodshed.
If we go back to the fall in Genesis we see that God clothed Adam and Eve in animal skins. Where did the skins come from? The first sacrifice. We see that Adam and eve committed the first sin and God himself initiated the first sacrifice.
God made the first sacrifice in order For Adam and Eve to be before him again without shame. (be looking forward to a post on Adam, Eve, and the fall soon)
So when we read Ephesians 1:7 we begin to see God's kindness and grace because he purchased our freedom with the blood of Christ.
Peter tells us in 1 Peter 1:18-20 God paid a ransom to save our life from the sinful life we inherited from Adam. God chose Christ as the ransom before the world began. Knowing this we should receive his love with our heads held high!
4. We are reconciled by Grace. Reconciled, simply put, means to restore harmony between two people.
In Genesis 3:8-11 we see first hand how sin broke this harmony. Due to sin Adam and Eve were ashamed and scared to be before God. It is this same problem that has plagued mankind ever since.
Let's take a look at what it means for you and me!
a. Paul tells us in Romans 5:10-11 that our Lord Jesus Christ has reconciled us and made us friends of God. Now, in Christ Jesus, we are accepted by God.
b. In Ephesians 2:6 Paul tells us that we are raised with Christ from the dead and seated with God in the heavenly realms. We are now eternally secure in Christ Jesus
c. We are adopted as God's own children; Romans 3:15
What does that look like you may ask?
- Galatians 3:26 shows us that in this reconciliation we are children of God.
- Ephesians 2:19 tells us we are members of God's family,no longer strangers or foreigners.
- We have been transformed out of the kingdom of darkness into God's kingdom Colossians 1:13
d. We have eternal life that starts now. Christ tells us first hand that those who believe in him have eternal life. They have already passed from death to life, John 5:24-25
If we go back to Ephesians 2:6 we see that we were raised with Christ from the dead. This eternal life starts at the time we believe.
e. We are citizens of heaven, Philippians 3:20
Paul lays it out for us in Titus 3:4-7:
" But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life."
If you want a more in depth look at who you are in Christ check out more of Charles Stanley's work. Stayed tuned for next week we will take a look at our Person in Christ.
Can you honestly say you know your position in Christ?
About the Author: My name is Britt McCrimmon and I am the writer and creator of http://saltformation.com/. The Salt Formation Blog is totally inspired by our Lord Jesus Christ and is used as a tool to spread his message. God bless and i hope you enjoy!